The War Between the Provinces is a series of novels by Harry Turtledove. It is a retelling of the American Civil War, set in a fantasy setting, the Kingdom of Detina. The series focuses on the Eastern theater of the War Between the Provinces.
The names of locations have been changed, and North and South have been reversed. Many of the characters are based on real-world characters, and their names indicate this. Often their names are anagrams of the real-world character they are based on, or their nicknames contain their original's name.
Hand-cranked crossbows replace guns to mirror slow reloading times, and the northern rebels have fewer ley lines (railroads) than the southern kingdom, hence giving the slave-owning side the same logistical problems that existed in the American Civil War.
Some characters with historical counterparts Edit
- King Avram - counterpart of US President Abraham Lincoln
- King Geoffrey - counterpart of Confederate President Jefferson Davis
- General Hesmucet - counterpart of General William Tecumseh Sherman
- General "Doubting" George - counterpart of General George H. Thomas
- General (later Marshal) Bart - counterpart of General Ulysses S. Grant
- General Guildenstern - counterpart of General Williams Rosecrans
- Count Thraxton (the Braggart) - counterpart of General Braxton Bragg
- Duke Edward of Arlington - counterpart of General Robert E. Lee
- Ned of the Forest - counterpart of Nathan Bedford Forest
- Joseph the Gamecock - counterpart of Joseph E. Johnston
- Lt. Gen Bell - counterpart of John Bell Hood
|The War Between the Provinces series|
|Sentry Peak | Marching Through Peachtree | Advance and Retreat ||