- Krispos - peasant from the northern borderlands of Empire of Videssos who became the Avtokrator of Videssos.
- Dara - Krispos' wife, empress-consort of Videssos; deceased.
- Anthimos III, Avtokrator - Dara's first husband, possibly Phostis' natural father; Krispos's predecessor as emperor; deceased.
- Phostis - Krispos' first-born son and heir (paternity uncertain).
- Evripos - Krispos second-born son.
- Katakolon - Krispos' third-born son.
- Mavros - Krispos's foster brother.
- Olyvria - wife of Phostis, daughter-in-law of Krispos.
- Rhisoulphos - father of Dara; Krispos' father-in-law.
- Evripos senior - father of Rhisoulphos, Krispos' grandfather-in-law, presumably deceased.
- Phostis - Krispos' father; deceased.
- Tatze - Krispos' mother; deceased.
- Evdokia - Krispos' sister; deceased.
- Domokos, husband of Evdokia, deceased.
- Kosta - Krispos' sister; deceased.
Unnamed Family MembersEdit
Evdokia and Domokos had two daughters, names unrevealed. They were all killed by Harvas Black-Robe during a preliminary invasion of the Empire of Videssos by the Halogai shortly before Krispos's ascension to the imperial throne; their deaths were one of the factors that led him to challenge Anthimos.
Krispos had a son by an unknown woman sometime after his wife's death, this son died in infancy. A serving maid named Drina is pregnant by Krispos at the end of the trilogy.